N/A Family First Rating
100% Family First Rating
- Definition of marriage – Support
Collins Dictionary defines marriage as the legal union or contract made by a man and a woman to live as husband and wife, I would therefore support a bill which confirms this definition.
- Encourage marriage – Support
In Britain, the government pays for marriage counselling for marriages that are experiencing difficulties. I think this is a step in the right direction and would like to see a similar set up here in NZ. Statistics show that rescuing a marriage is far more cost-effective than a marriage break-up.
- Role and support of parents – Support
- CYF Complaints Authority – Support
- Parental choice for education – Support
- Income Splitting – Support
- Unborn child right to life – Support
- Informed Consent for Abortion – Support
I would definitely support such a bill and would go further in offering support to a woman in a position where she feels she must consider having an abortion.
- Parental notification – Support
I would strongly support this. After all, school cannot give a child an aspirin without parental consent, nor can they take a child on an outing outside the school without such consent, yet currently the law allows a child under 17 to be taken to an abortion clinic without the parent knowing. Unless there are dire consequences for the child if the parents are informed, then parents should be advised.
- Abstinence-based sex education – Support
Abstinence programmes in the USA have resulted in lower teenage pregnancies so this option needs to be taught if the alternatives are being given.
- Surrogacy – Oppose
I have mixed feelings about this. Knowing a couple who chose a similar option and then the husband died, it led to all sorts of emotional and other difficulties as such a scenario had never been considered.
- Embryonic stem cell research – Oppose
- Same sex couple adoption – Oppose
- Decriminalise euthanasia – Oppose
- Decriminalise marijuana – Oppose
- Ban on residential brothels – Support
- Ban on street prostitution – Support
- Criminalise buyer of prostitution – Support
- Improve broadcasting standards – Support
- Prevent public nudity – Support
- G-rated billboard advertising – Support
- Raising drinking age – Support
- Decriminalise smacking – Support
- Child Abuse Commission of Inquiry – Support
- Liberalise Easter trading laws – Oppose
- Regulation of loan sharks – Support
- Reduced gambling – Support
- Welfare Vouchers for At-Risk – Support
- Binding Citizens’ Initiated Referenda – Support